by lakecountrypt, October 19, 2018
What are the Benefits of Kayaking?
There are many health benefits kayaking has which are very important to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. At Lake Country Physical Therapy & Sportscare, we offer physical therapy near Geneva and our expertise vary from helping you become more active to rehabilitation after trauma or injury. Kayaking involves sitting in an enclosed vessel with your legs extended and using a double-bladed paddle to propel yourself in water. This activity is very popular in the fall, and we have many reasons why it may improve your strength and mood this fall.
Health Benefits of Kayaking
- Builds muscle strength – Kayaking is a great way to increase muscular endurance, especially in the arms, shoulders, and chest from propelling the paddle against water resistance
- Increases core balance and strength of the torso – This happens when the body is constantly rotating to excel going forward
- Reduces inflammation and wear and tear damage on the joints – Paddling is a low impact activity and allows the joints to be more mobile
Lake Country Physical Therapy & Sportscare is passionate about providing you with the guidance and education needed to help in body rehabilitation. We do have a few tips to make sure you have proper posture during kayaking.
Posture Techniques During Kayaking
- Sit tall on the center of your seat
- Have your spine align straight with your head held high as if a string is being pulled tight across your back
- Reach with your arms rather than your entire body
- Lean front slightly from the hips when paddling forward, you do not want excessive weight on your back muscles
- Consider installing a back brace if you are having trouble keeping your core secure
Always remember to keep hydrated and apply 30+ SPF in all areas of the skin exposed to the sun. In addition, if you are looking for physical therapy in Geneva to help you feel your best, remember that our staff here at Lake Country Physical Therapy & Sportscare is here for you. Contact us today to make an appointment and make sure to keep active this season!