by lakecountrypt, September 25, 2018
Hiking Safety Tips
When the weather is nice, there’s no better way to spend the day than going for a hike. It is great exercise, and it allows you to see all the beauty nature has to offer. At Lake Country Physical Therapy, we can offer tips to avoid injury, and our physical therapy near Geneva can help you get back outside if you ever hurt yourself.
Common Hiking Injuries
Even the most experienced hikers sometimes cannot prevent injury. Some of the most common injuries that can occur are:
- Achilles tendinitis
- Sprains (ankles, wrists, etc.)
- Various skin conditions
While some of these injuries can get better on their own with time and over-the-counter treatments, others may need more care. If you find this is the case, you can seek our physical therapy near Geneva for help.
Sometimes it is possible for things not to go as planned. This is why those who hike are often susceptible to injury. However, there are measures you can take to help avoid this:
- Bring a friend – make sure you don’t travel alone. Having a person with you is always beneficial, even if the trail may be an easy one.
- Know where you’re hiking – you should also always know where you’re going. If you have an idea of the trail’s layout, you will know ahead of time things you can avoid that have the potential to cause injury.
- Bring supplies/gear – be sure to take some basic gear with you as well. While it is important not to overdo it, having some basic tools like matches or a knife can be a lifesaver in the wilderness.
- Bring a map – it is imperative that you always have a map with you. It is very easy to get lost, and technology cannot be solely relied upon, especially in areas that may have little to no service.
What To Do if Injured
As previously stated, some injuries can be treated by yourself. Resting and generic medication can do the trick. However, for more serious injuries, you may need to contact Lake Country Physical Therapy. For example, while a sprain is not the most serious injury, it is still important to get it taken care of right away. Going through a program at our physical therapy near Geneva can be the best option for treatment. We have a team of professionals that are ready to create the best care regimen for you.
Hiking can be done for both relaxation and exercise. It is not always a physically demanding task, but there is always the potential for injury. You can follow some of the tips we offered so you can avoid injury. However, if you are unfortunate enough to suffer an injury, Lake Country Physical Therapy will put you on the path to recovery!