by lakecountrypt, August 26, 2018
Yoga is a comprehensive system of techniques that benefits your well-being on all levels. Yoga can benefit your physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health. The different postures and breathing exercises of yoga are designed to align your skin, muscles, and bones. Yoga performed at Lake Country Physical Therapy will benefit your fitness levels, stress levels, peace of mind, and spiritual growth. If you’re looking for physical therapy near Geneva to begin yoga, get started with us today!
What are the different types of yoga?
Practicing yoga will provide numerous health benefits to improve your overall quality of life. The science of yoga divides the day into four parts: Brahma Muhurta, Sunrise, Noon, and Sunset. Sunrise or sunset is considered a good time to improve your physical well-being. The most common forms of yoga include:
- Hatha – Combines basic movements with breathing.
- Vinyasa – A series of smoothly flowing poses that seamlessly transition together.
- Power – An intense muscle building practice.
- Bikram – Known as hot yoga and uses challenging poses in a high-temperature room.
Yoga does much more than just burn calories and tone muscles. Yoga at our physical therapy near Geneva is a full body workout that combines stretching and strengthening, with breathing and relaxation. Yoga can assist with pain management and body awareness to raise your body’s overall health. If you’re practicing yoga, there are plenty of benefits:
- Improves flexibility – Improving your flexibility will relieve aches and pains in your body. Improving hip flexibility will decrease knee strain and correct alignment in the thigh and shin bones. Loosening your hamstrings will reduce chances of back pain caused by the flattening of the lumbar spine.
- Corrects posture – Yoga will correctly balance your head over your spine making it easier for your neck and back muscles to support your head. Poor posture can lead to flattening the curves in your neck and degenerative arthritis.
- Reduces cartilage breakdown – Every yoga session done at our physical therapy near Geneva takes your joints through a full range of motion. By working areas of cartilage that aren’t typically used, you can prevent those areas from wearing out.
- Protects your spine – The forward, backward, and twisting movements of yoga keep your spinal discs moving, which benefits your nerves. These movements prevent herniations and compressions in your spine.
- Increases blood flow – Relaxation exercises at physical therapy near Geneva increase your blood circulation. Yoga increases oxygen into your cells which increases their functionality. Twisting poses push oxygenated blood into your back when the twist is released. Inverted poses move blood back to the heart where it can become oxygenated.
If you or someone you know is interested in yoga at Lake Country Physical Therapy, contact us today.